All we are is a collection of what we've seen, tasted, heard, and felt. We are storage spaces for experience. We collect these minutes and days without ever analyzing how they're shaping us in our entirety. Our whole selves are hardly whole at all. Our whole selves are created by piecing together moments, of ripping apart days and gluing together the parts that stick out to us. Sadly we don't choose which moments create us.
Imagine how strange the world would be if we consciously created our personality.
I wonder if people would be easier or harder to get along with. My bet is that they would be harder, they would grasp onto the idea of self so much more strongly, because they know that they created the self. It's easy to dislike yourself now, we don't have to take the blame for who we are. We are shaped by outside forces. So if I don't like myself, I just don't like the things that made me this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment